View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #98
red98vett
Yorkie Kisses are the Best!
Donating Member

Straightsilk - I'm hoping it was only my wording that confused you.... but disagree with this statement :
Quote:
Saving" dogs from the shelter only supports irresponsible breeders who allowed their puppies to end up there.
I DO support good breeders - without them we wouldn't have the beautiful dogs most all of us have in our lives....my point was mostly focusing on the huge shelter problem we have and it was just my personal feelings .....there are way too many breeding (yorkies and other breeds)

I DO think lots of dogs ARE ending up in shelters because of the many people breeding now. They want a sale and that's the end of that - My own Breeder was a prime example of that and back then - I knew no better...

I'm not in any way talking about ethical breeders who ensure their dogs go to good homes - but those out to make a fast buck - and there are lots of those but that by no means is saying someone is supporting bad breeding ! It's saving a dog sitting in JAIL by no fault of their own

Just look at the section on this site for Rescues and rehoming - there are yorkies listed every single day - they're from breeders ! Where else would they come from ?

You don't see yorkies roaming the streets like you may with other breeds so I don't think that's why so many are in shelters - I think it's because people are selling to anyone and don't care where their puppies end up - and yes....people who don't spay.neuter are also a problem - add the strays, run-aways and dumped dogs and we are never going to see our shelters empty.....

I was just curious where the thread would go and I applaud those who are involved in rescue and also - the good breeders. But they are few and far between these days. Everyone should support those that put their lives into breeding but it's been my observation - there are so so many selling dogs now (especially with the net) that are doing it for the $$$ only.

Last edited by red98vett; 02-07-2010 at 09:59 AM.
red98vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!