Thread: Legg Perthes
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
WinstonMom
YT Addict

I have a dog with Legge-Perthes who did not have surgery. He was purchased as a show-breeder but of course, I had him neutered and he now lives with my son. He was the first Legge-Perthes dog from his line. He went on strict crate rest for 4 months to prevent further damage to the femoral ball until it had recalcified. He now uses the leg although he walks with a limp and the joint appears stiff. He does not seem to be in any pain and my vet does not think so either. He will, however, have arthritis when he is elderly (but I probably will too). I will deal with that when the time comes. He seems to be doing as well as the dog that I know that had surgery for the condition. He also walks with a limp and actually doesn't use the leg a lot of the time. The big difference is that the dog with the surgery will not get arthritis.
I must point out that with my boy the ball of the femur was still in reasonably good condition and not too deteriorated when we diagnosed him or I would have not been able to go with the non-surgical treatment.
You really need to discuss your options with your surgeon. Hope this helps some.

Audrey
WinstonMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!