View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

Interesting, I have never seen anyone write about this with their Yorkie and find it would be very strange in a 9 week old puppy. Have you called the breeder? Was this puppy on a lot of medication? Frankly, I would either get a second opinion or would take a wait and see as this pup is to young.

Why is your vet in such a rush to do this? Doesn't make sense to me.

Gingival hyperplasia is overgrowth of the gingiva (gum tissue) characterized by firm, nonpainful swellings associated with the gingiva. Gingival hyperplasia is sometimes referred to as fibromatous periodontal hyperplasia.

Gingival hyperplasia is most common in large and giant breed dogs. There is a familial inheritance reported in the boxer, Great Dane, collie, Doberman pinscher, and Dalmatian

Causes

Familial inheritance

Chronic drug administration, most commonly diphenylhydantoin, nitrendipine, nifedipine and cyclosporine

What to Watch For

Slowly enlarging mass or masses noticed along the gingival margin

Bleeding from the gums

Mouth discomfort in severe cases

Diagnosis

Baseline tests, which include a complete blood count (CBC), biochemical profile, and urinalysis, are usually within normal limits.

Careful inspection and examination of the entire oral cavity is essential and may be diagnostic.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!