View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag382 View Post
My sweet Emily, will be 14 this month. She had an elevated BUN level of 46 during the summer, prompting vet to put her on K/D diet.
Last week her BUN level is up to 112, but creatinine is normal. All other levels are normal.
She tested positive for occult fecal blood, but today's ultrasound shows no abdominal tumors or ulcers which would cause this.
Ultrasound does show some nodules on her liver, and one on her spleen (which is totally unrelated to the BUN level, and could be nothing, according to the vet.)
She was on Deramax for a few months, but vet says this should not elevate BUN levels.
We don't know what to do next. She eats well, and poops healthy daily. Her energy level is crazy strong lately.
Aside from some mild demetia (staring at walls and pacing occasionally) she shows no distress.
What direction should we go next?
Anyone with any experience in this, your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
deramaxx is an NSAID and definitely can affect kidneys was your dog on deramaxx at time bun was elevated? Creatinine is the most critical value as bun elevation can be due to dehydration but being on K/D diet should have helped not elevated it if kidney related - but i am curious about the medication

is your dog drinking enough water? dh brother had a cat with kidney issues and vet told them to have a water bowl in every room to encourage drinking. My maltese had high bun prior to dental but creatinine was normal at .9 and they had me worried about it and i believe it was 39 would have to look up again but she is fine. She is almost 6. I change water 3-4 times a day as she will not drink unless it is fresh and i use spring bottled water.

What is urinalysis of your dog as urine also is important in dogs with kidney issues

I would join this group as they deal with kidney issues and are very knowledgeable about blood work i am sure

K9KIDNEYS : for owners of dogs with Kidney Disease

Last edited by dwerten; 02-01-2010 at 03:00 PM.
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!