View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
dwerten
BANNED!

this has happened to both my maltese and yorkie - rest it for 48-72 hrs and pain will make them rest - pain meds they will walk on it and take longer to heal and vet will give pain meds usually nsaid like metacam or tramadol - i prefer tramadol. I doubt your dog broke it's leg and if patella is out of joint gently massage knee cap and see if it slides back in place.

if a ruptured acl like we believe happened to my girl yorkie then 2 mos of rest and scar tissue will create a tendon in small dogs - this can be repaired later not an emergency surgery if this is what happened and vet and ortho recommended 2 mos rest then if still lifting and in pain surgery but 80% of small dogs do not need acl surgery

keep confined, no jumping etc and NO EXERCISE give it time to heal

My maltese was fine with in 3-4 days as soft tissue injury and my yorkie it took a while - only about 4-5 days to not lift but she would lift off and on and get up slow for a while but she cried out in pain when it initially happened and my maltese i was not home so not sure what happened came in and she was lifting front paw - my dd it was back leg

Last edited by dwerten; 02-01-2010 at 07:30 AM.
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!