View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
pancakepat
Senior Yorkie Talker

Ryoonc, As w/u I'm a new yorkie mom, too. So I'm still learning. I don't claim to know everything & I get confused reading about the yorkie. Had the same problem about food, too. Anyway, just wanted to re-enforce what already been said. Keep Nutri Cal on hand. Read up on "hypoglycemic". I understand this can happen to new babies. In time they should out grow the chances having hypoglycemic. Hypoglycemic, as best as I can understand, it's kind of like a dibetic. A puppies tummy is very small & they need to eat something every 3 hrs as mentioned in earlier post. In order to keep their sugar count up.
Concerning food. I use Wellness can food. What works for my yorkie is: I measure out an amount of wellness, then I add 1/2 of a boiled egg (w/o the yolk), add some tuna w/the juice. She loves it. Sometimes I'll sub eggs for green beans or steamed carrots. Baked chicken or turkey can be used in place of tuna. If I cook noodles, I'll save some back for her. You don't have to be a chef to cook for a yorkie. Just few things to keep in mind. When buying canned veg. get the unsalted & no fried foods. It's "really" not that confusing. Keep the food bland (no spices, salt, pepper, etc.) Yorkies won't know it nor will beagles as I have one.
And PLEASE remember, when you notice your baby isn't eating, its time to ACT. Hope you can stand one more suggestion. Start a savings account for your baby. Vet bills can get out of hand.
I read on this forum where one lady didn't have any money to take her yorkie to vet & the poor thing died in her arms. She wrote minute by minute on this forum as the poor thing was dying. I was so Mad. I have an account for my girl. As of today, I've saved $1200. Hope I never have to use it. Some moms suggest insurance.
I'll be thinking of you. Rule of thumb....Go with your gut instinct. If you think theres something wrong, there probably is.
Oh, I was concerned about your vet. You never answered rather or not your vet suggested the nutri cal? If not, than I would certainly question him. I have an appointment tomarrow to interview a vet as I'm in the process of changing. The vet I have now is ok with bigger dogs but I'm leary about his knowledge on small dogs.
Please be sure & update us in few days.
pancakepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!