View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
topknot
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topknot View Post
I agree with AMD. You do not know what you are getting into and it is not easy. I just had a litter and almost lost my girl. There was a pup trying to come out with head and back feet together. Yep, in a "U" shape!! This pup was not coming out on its own!! She ended up having a c-section to save her life. I cried when she came out of the operation. Why?? It was my fault she had to go through this. You take a great risk everytime you breed. If you ever see a yorkie after a c-section - it is so bad. They are not there cognitive and they shake and are soo scared. Now my girl is a champion and very good quality. The cost too - very expensive. You have to plan for such things happening, just in case - the cost of this c-section on a Sat afternoon was approx. just over 800.00. Then you have the care afterwards - that means staying home with them and staying up nights to watch over them.

Then you have to look at if your girl is worthy of being breed. Do you know the yorkshire standard? If not you need to learn this. You also need to have her evaluated by someone that is a yorkie expert to judge her (vets cannot do this, since they do not know each breed standard) and you need then a vet to conduct the tests to make sure there is nothing that you can find that will be a health hazard to her or could pass on to the pups.
I wanted to add - you made a great step asking. Just remember to listen to the great advice and not be overglazed by the thought of puppies. It is so much more than that in reality and not all of it great. I hate breeding!
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!