View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 04:46 AM   #7
red98vett
Yorkie Kisses are the Best!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
Gosh, so sorry to hear you are having this problem with your yorkie. I don't think I've ever had this issue....maybe because I've always had more than one dog. However, I've seen this issue dealt with on "It's Me or the Dog" with Victoria Stillwell on Animal Planet and some of the advice given here is what she recommends. From watching her shows I have definitely learned that repetition and consistency are the keys and necessities to success. Since it sounds like you don't go out much there may not be a pattern is how/when you leave, but if there is, BREAK THE PATTERN. Change the routine in whatever it is you do when you leave; do it differently and make no fuss about your leaving. Getting other people more involved in your yorkies life/activities will also help with his attachment to you.
Here is a link to a thread I found here about another member's problem with separation anxiety with their yorkie. I hope it helps.
http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/gen...ration+anxiety
good post ! I bolded in red what I've always heard too - the less fuss you make when leaving the better. There are lots of sites that have great info on seperation anxiety and it seems your puppy has a pretty severe case of it.

My girls had a hard time when I had to move and work full time after my husband died....I'd just tell them I was going to work - be good girls and I'll be back - then give them their treat.

It took a bit but finally they started understanding I WAS coming back but holy cow - Cheri would scream. Luckily she stopped right away (I snuck back to listen a few times) but still - it hurt to hear her that upset.

Someone said they're like little kids and that's so true. They are and can be alot of work. I always felt I did mine a dis-service because when my husband was sick, he was with them ALL the time so they weren't used to being alone - - it's much better for dogs to see us coming and going without making a big deal out of it.

Giving him a really safe toy - like a kong is good too - anything to occupy his thoughts while you walk out the door.
red98vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!