View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #13
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gram2k View Post
Brand new puppy here and HATES being brushed or combed! I've tried all kinds of brushes / combs and I use conditioners and detanglers so pulling her hair isn't the issue. She squirms and yelps and bites and cries. Anyone else have this problem? Help?
As Gemy described in her post, take very small sections of hair in your hand, and work from the bottom of the hair shaft to the top. In other words, brush the bottom end of the hair first, then brush from a little higher up, and so on.

No matter how much conditioner or detangler you use, you still need to make sure you aren't pulling the skin. Also, make sure you aren't poking the skin with sharp brush bristles or comb teeth.

Go slowly building up your pup's tolerance for brushing, but don't give in to her getting away or getting out of doing it. Try to make grooming time fun, pleasurable together time. I started my guy by using massage and silly, sweet talk. You can also use treats.

You can also train your pup to associate grooming time with something very desirable. For instance, my guy loves his long morning walk and he knows that he has to put in his topknot and get a little brush out before he goes.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!