View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #55
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Incident - well meaning neighbor gave me a can of Alpo. Put a little on her food for 2 days. On day 3- strange symptoms - flopping around; could not get comfortable; shaking and twitching. Went to Vet - Vet said sounds like gas - dogs try to 'run away from it'. Day 4 - standing in corners, walking up against wall; hiding under furniture; lethergy; no interaction with family. Return to Vet - he does not know. Possibly stomach pains; virus; not sure. Decided to BAT.

BAT numbers: pre - 51 and post 41. Since the BAT - everything fine with normal behavior; energy, etc. Lucy has a bundle of energy; then sleeps; energy then sleeps.

Plan: Keep everything as is and re-test in 2 weeks. (2/15).

Sorry, tried to condense. Normal liver enzyme test when she was first brought home so Vet was surprised by the BAT numbers. Sister PTS by breeder for LS (different mother same father)
Did she eventually have diarrhea from the Alpo?
These are symptoms of Hepatic Encephalopathy, basically a build up of toxins in the blood that go to the brain. You would do well to get a script for Lactulose to keep on hand as Lactulose can stop these symptoms almost immediately. It will most likely reoccur from time to time. If these symptoms are allowed to progress, they will be followed by a seizure, coma and death. (sorry to be so blunt, I don't know how else to say it).

And Yes, lethargy is a symptom of liver malfunction. My pup has good days and bad days. On her good days, I half expect her to run up the walls and across the ceiling. On her bad days, she gets in her crate and sleeps alot... she is not crate trained and barks incessantly if I put her in it.? Other things you can do to help her liver: Feed 3-4 small meals per day. Easier on the liver to process smaller amounts at a time. Use only stainless steel or safe ceramic bowls for food and water, plastics can leach chemicals into the food and water. Use filtered water, if possible.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!