View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
YorkieLove77
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Yes you can retrain again. Take a deep breath cause it's probably going to take two weeks at least. Think about and put in your mind he's just a young puppy again. Try crating for 15 minutes at a time ... then when he is quiet let him out and hug n kiss him - give him a treat whatever.

Next hour do the same.... continue all day. After 2 days of this increase the time to 30 minutes. Continue to expand the time. In fact go out for 2-3 hours and leave him in his crate. When you come home if he whines/cries act out say hush or quiet and only let him out when he is quiet.

And yes unless he is going nuts because his collar is caught on something or a bad bug is in his crate it is okay. By the way with wire crates your dog should not have a collar on them whilst in the crate.
Thanks Gemy. I guess I just needed to know if this will work again. Once upon a time he was crate trained, but I moved and he stayed with my dad for a couple months and the crate became a thing of the past.

He was doing really good for awhile but he's been having accidents since his neuter, so I realized he needs to be crate trained again. It's a plastic crate, but I still take his collar off. I will continue working with him in short time increments like you suggested and hopefully it'll work again. On the plus side, he hasn't "marked" in the house since he was neutered! So hopefully it won't be too difficult to retrain him to potty outside, since it's no longer hormonal.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!