View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
cinnamonmon
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Need some advice re:keep dog in hospital or bring home?

My yorkie mix became sick yesterday with bloody diarrhea and vomiting. I took her to my vet which is also an emergency vet and they said they thought it was hemorraghic gastroenteritis. They dont know the cause but it can be very serious. I knew they would probably do an xray, give her fluids and meds to take home. I was prepared for a couple of hundred dollars.

Unfortunately they wanted her to spend the night, do expensive bloodwork, and several Iv meds...total cost $575. Go ahead and think Im a deadbeat or a terrible dog mom...but I dont have that much money. My husband is out of work and has been for over a year. I work full time but barely make it from paycheck to paycheck. I had my 3 dogs before all of this happened and never had trouble taking care of them before but now I have to count every penny and there are not many of them. I also cannot get credit because of this situation.

Its not that I dont trust this vet but I sure dont feel much warmth from them. I switched to them because they are 5 minutes away and have a 24 hr emergency room.
Anyway when I said that i couldnt pay the original amount and asked if i could pay half or make some other arrangements...they said the full amount was required. Then they came back with two other estimates, one for $433 one for $300. They said I could choose but they recommended at least the $433 which included having her spend the night. The cheaper amount would be if I took her home and took care of her myself. I find that whole thing somewhat confusing....what does she really need?

I love her with all my heart and want whats best so I agreed to keep her there over night, even though it will wipe me out till next week which is my next payday. I may be eating beans till then but it will be okay if she is better. I went with the middle price which was a big enough stretch for me.
So I call last night and twice today. They say she has had no more vomiting or diarrhea (that means she has had none since before I brought her there last evening). She has been on an iv all day with antibiotics. When I called to find out when they would let her go they said they wanted to keep her overnight again to see if she would start eating. They said they put water out but that she hadnt drank it yet.

I asked if that would be any extra because originally I think they only charged me for one night. He said yes, it would be $50 extra, plus $25 extra for an extra charge today (he didnt say what that was for...i have already paid the $433.'

They would be keeping her stictly to see if she will begin eating. I am worried that she wont eat there anyways because I home cook for her and shes not going to eat some random wet food they give her. I want to do whats best...I am not someone that goes against medical advice (Im a nurse)usually, but I really cant afford to pay anymore at this point especially since they are just keeping her in a cage and watching to see if she eats. I could do that at home and think she would be more likely to eat here anyways.
I probably could borrow the extra for another night if I had to from a friend though I hate to do it but Im not sure its necessary. I live 5 minutes away and if she doesnt get better I could take her back tomorrow...it wouldnt cost me anymore.
So help me figure this out. i am not asking for help to figure out the financial situation, just whether I am being rash to want to bring her home.
Thanks for the replies...sorry for the long post.
cinnamonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!