View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #5
alisonJ
YT 1000 Club Member

Default Smoky

Hi, new poster here. Yes, I have a copy of "Yorkie Doodle Dandy" by Bill Wynne, Smoky's owner. I wrote to him and sent a check after reading about it on the internet about 5 years ago. He sent an autographed copy. He seems like a very nice man.

The book is very well written, and I recommend it to you all. You will love it. Smoky was a brave little soldier who was found in New Guinea in a foxhole. She weighed 4 pounds full-grown.

She really was a little heroine. When the Air Force needed to string some wires under a runway, they thought they were going to have to dig it up. It would have been very dangerous because they would have no serviceable runway for several days. They got Smoky to go through the culvert pipe (it was pretty small in diameter) by putting Bill at one end... he called her, and even though there were some tight spots, she got through. She pulled a string through, and they were able to pull the wires through with the string. Bill Wynne only agreed to let Smoky do this if they agreed to have an excavator ready to rescue her immediately, if needed.

After returning to the US after the war, Bill and Smoky had their own TV show in Cleveland.

Get the book. It is a lovely, true story.

Alison (Edith's mother)
alisonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!