View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie View Post
It doesn't really matter if she doesn't eat dog food does it?
Most wild animals, & us, don't eat pre-prepared food, real food was around for dogs long before pet food manufacturers got in on the act.

Just make sure she gets a balance, not just meat. She already has veg so just add a bit of carbs in the form of rice, potato or pasta.

One of mine has a severe food allergy & the vet recommended meat & potato above everything.

My littlest is like yours & rarely eats manufactured food, she can pick it out of any dish I give her
But she'll eat rice & adores spaghetti.

xx
Meggie
The reason they call it dog food is because it's nutritionally balanced for what a dog needs. A healthy human diet is not sufficient for dog's nutritional needs. They need much more calcium than a human needs, in the wild they would get this by eating bones, but only raw bones are safe to eat, cooked bones splinter and can cause intestinal problems. Even raw bones aren't completely safe to eat, in the wild, dogs will eat fur or feathers, which help, pad the bones. Most people who choose to home cook will suppliment the diet, however, if you choose some form of raw, with no cooking you will not need to suppliment, but you need to give the food in the proper proportion, so much meat to so much bone, and so much organ meat. Some people also choose to add a few fruits or veggies to this. Some people have chosen to grind their own foods, to eliminate the problems of bones causing intestinal problems. If you choose to buy a ready made dog food, there are brands that are made to entice finicky eaters, but if you are actually giving them cooked human foods you need to be very careful about choosing the diet wisely.

Join today and remove this ad!