View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
AmyChristine
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwerten View Post
the only other test is protein C test and i do not think that test is accurate at all as i helped a dog that had multiple shunts and the protein c test said no shunt so that did it for me with that test ultrasound is very difficult to detect unless the person doing it knows what they are doing like on dr tobias team. The true test for liver shunt that is most accurate is scintigraphy - my dog was below 100 yet my vet wanted this done anyway even with no symptoms and i opted not to since below 100 and i had 3 bats done just to be sure - the third one was done by dr jean dodds who knows alot about blood work and is close to where she lives - it was done after being on low protein diet for 6 mos

DODDS-RESUME

my friend in cali has a liver shunt survivor and her dog did not have any symptoms until after her dog was 1 years old so just because the dog has no symptoms now does not mean they will not occur later
I completely agree Copper's symptoms did not show until he was a year old, he was always a quiet, shakey puppy, but then one day it just hit. I just think that if you can find a good vet that is very familiar with all of this that should be first priority, then redo the BA, then scintigraphy. I also have heard of the Protein C test not being as accurate as we would all like it to be.

Copper's BA test are all pre 0-10 and post between 100-120, we thought shunt at first. We had the scintigraphy done, no shunt was visibly, and we are not going to do the biopsy. He manages very well on diet change and suplements.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!