View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #13
HShanks
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Default UPDATE took Abbie to ER Vet last night

First, I just want to say thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the kind words and prayers. I really needed those this morning. Sometimes I just wish she could open her mouth and tell me exactly what is going on.

We ended up taking her to the vet at 11 PM last night. She never could seem to get comfortable, was not able to jump up on the couch or use her bed ramp like normal, and was really "freaking" me out for lack of better terms.

Vet took a LONG time getting her history from me. He did another CBC, Lipase, and Basic Metabolic Panel. The only abnormal results are listed below:

RDW% 16.7 Normal 11-16
Lipase was at the high end of normal at 1192 Normal 200-1800
WBC were in the normal range but slightly elevated at 13.8 Normal 6-17
PCV was high normal at 48.8 Normal 37-55

To make a long story short this is what he thinks is going on.
1. Contracted a virus or stress when she went to vet for yearly checkup last Monday as she was there for 1/2 day being exposed to who knows what
2. Stress or possible table food triggered the pancreatitis (vomitting last Tuesday) which in turn led to the bloody stool and possible HGE Wednesday night
3. Body tried to fight it off until Friday when I took her in for the inital DX of pancreatitis.
4. Was improving but suffered set back because of the new bland diet...this led to the constipation and need for enema.
5. Has no idea where the pain is coming from but thinks it is from her back. and suspects it is not related to the GI upset at all but a total coincidence.

He said Lipase may be in the high normal range because the dx was orginally made almost 5 days ago and she has been on Flagyl since then. Same theory with the high normal HCT.

They placed an IV and gave her fluids, injections of Gentamicin, Baytril and Dexamethasone (for the inflammatin/pain) and sent us home with instructions to stop the Flagyl and Clavamox. Hold food and liquid for 12 hours, start by introducing water at noon, followed by a small spoonful of I/D every few hours. If she tolerates that without vomitting tonight then I am to slowly transition her back to normal food by Friday (he was adamant-no more chicken breast). Once we introduce food, if she won't eat or drink for greater than 24 hours then we are to take her back to our vet right away.
He left the IV in place just in case she needs fluids again. He was a wealth of information, very caring, and seemed genuinely perplexed by all that she had been through. He did make comment that this was an "atypical" case of pancreatitis or she had the highest pain tolerance of any dog that he has ever cared for. He said he would expect her to feel much better by Friday and if she was eating and drinking well that I could remove the IV on Friday morning.

He doesn't want her jumping until the pain has subsided so I made a bed on the floor for Abbie and I since the fluids had her peeing all night long. We were all able to get a few hours of sleep last night. She is a little more alert this morning and not shaking but still won't go up her ramp to get on the bed or even try to jump on the couch (her favorite spot to patrol the neighborhood). I'm hoping for an huge improvement by tomorrow afternoon.

Keep us in your prayers.
HShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!