View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HShanks View Post
Sorry it took so long to reply. I'm mentally and physically drained at this point. The new vet made the HGE dx based on her PRIOR CBC (from Friday) and the photos. She said it "looked like HGE at that time but it seems to be clearing up since she hasn't pooped since Sunday" hence the need for only subcut fluids.

However after taking a nap today Abbie started acting very strange and just not herself. She was acting like she was in pain and shaking. I immediately called the vet and let them know I was on my way in. Vet did Xray's to rule out obstruction but dx with a fecal impaction! My poor baby was FULL OF POOP. I feel so bad the we can't seem to regulate her GI system at all.

I had to leave her at the vet while they did the enema. They kept her for an hour and a half and then we were able to pick her up. She had gone to the bathroom several times and it was normal poo and not bloody at all. We brought her home with instructions to give some Tagamet to help ease her stomach. However, since we got home she still has periods of shaking and acts like it is uncomfortable to lie down. She prefers standing over lying but at this point the poor baby is falling asleep standing up. She has periods where she has slight shaking, nothing, then she will start shaking pretty hard. She finally had a bowel movement (one soft formed brown stool) again a few minutes ago and has gone to pee on her piddle pad 3x since 5:30 PM and seems to be feeling slightly better. No shaking just acting as if her tummy is sore and is hesitant to lie down. I finally put her up on the bed and made her a "nest" as we like to call it so that the front part of her body is elevated as this is how she seems most comfortable. I'm praying that we all get some rest tonight and don't end up back at the vet. I'm hoping that the pain after the enema was related to the peristalsis once her bowels started moving again.

I'm upset with myself for not asking for a pain med for her. I don't hold it against the vet because when we left the office Abbie was so excited to see us that she didn't appear to be in pain. The shaking only appeared again after we got back home. If she is still in pain in the AM I will take her back and request something for pain. Any ideas what would work best in her situation?

Now I'm worried about starting the bland diet and ending up with constipation and a never ending cycle. Vet says that I can add 1/2 tsp of mineral oil to her food when she starts eating again or use just a bite of the pumpkin. Any thought on this as well?

My oh my...I'm plum exhausted. I broke down in tears tonight on my way home from the drugstore. I even had to dose myself with the Tagamet as I think I've given myself and ulcer and possible IBS from the stress of it all. Please pray for Abbie's recovery and my sanity.
i would use pumpkin not mineral oil - i use organic pumpkin from whole foods
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!