Thread: bully sticks
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

I think they are all made from the a bull's penis (called beef tendon), but the real difference is how they are dried. The drier the stick the harder it is, and it becomes more like a bone, and less like beef jerky or a treat. I guess it depends on why you want to give them the stick, if it's just for a snack, then it wouldn't make any difference what type you bought, but if you are looking for something that helps scrape teeth of tartar then the harder sticks are important. If your dog is chewing a stick in a day, I think you are buying a soft stick. I have only tried Merrick Bully sticks, but I'm really happy with the quality. It takes a whole week for Joey to chew one, and we toss it when stick is about 1 1/2 inches, so it works out to about one a week. Joey does intensive chewing on the stick every night for at least two hours that I know of; he makes his daddy or me hold it for him! Yorkies are prone to tartar and many need their teeth removed starting at the age of three because of tartar, so anything you can do to reduce tartar is great!

Join today and remove this ad!