View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 04:08 AM   #19
jencar98
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadog1 View Post
And I couldn't agree more. And just because it is the AKC standard to dock doesn't mean we have to do it!! They can still be shown. there are some breeders of several breeds who do not dock and also show their dogs.

Eventually (fairly soon) it will also be illegal to dock (or anything else cosmetic). a few states and some cities have banned it. California is one, I cannot think of another at the moment, sorry..

They are trying here in WA. We already have a new law on the books about breeder, making mills almost impossible here...

And when docking a tail I more often than not see it done wrong. The yorkie's is supposed to be cut HALF so when the tail is straight up in air it should be higher then the back.

Kizzie my first yorkie had been docked too short, you cannot even see her move it. Mindy has a full tail and it curls over her back, I love her tail!! And Gracie was done properly.

Most vets do not know how to dock the tail the correct length, and especially so many breeds, they are all diff rules. And most breeders don't know either.

Emotions in a dog are shown through/with his tail, his FULL tail and to take that away for cosmetic reasons is just wrong, IMO..

Yorkies with full tails are shown in Europe but not here in the States. At least I haven't heard that full tails are acceptable in showing, and the YTCA standard does still calls for a docked tail.

Also, the only thing I could find on a specific States banning tail docking is California banning the docking of cows tails.

Dogs do show emotions with their tails, but I've never had a problem reading my yorkies emotions with their shortened tails.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!