View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #42
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwerten View Post
on xrays dd were both out in both back legs and vet could not manipulate them and she walks fine and does real well - use to before acl injury play frisbee 3hrs a day on tile and hardwood floors no issues. I think the problem is more severe when it is popping in and out - I was shocked when dd xrays showed both back legs out and then he could not manipulate them. Here is what xray looked like

Medial Luxating Patella - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

the pic on left is exactly how the xray looked for both of dd back legs. The vet had a radiologist double check xrays as well and had to pay $85 for a second opinion and he confirmed it. I was shocked as she never acted like it bothered her before injury but grade 4 leaves them susceptible to acl tears

here is a pic of patella

DEE DEE :: stifleanatomy.gif picture by dwerten - Photobucket

it does affect their front legs as dee dee looks like a bull dog at times when drinking or eating and arthritis is inevitible but it is also inevitible if surgery is done

I will try to attach a pic of her legs bowing in front as what happens is they cannot bend the back properly so it bows out the front legs- it is hard to tell in pic but the front legs elbow bend out when bending down to compensate for back legs. Vet told us real important no more twisting, turning, jumping on and off furniture so her frisbee career is all over which is a bummer as she loved frisbee

here is when she injured herself last february

DEE DEE :: 2009-3-1009.flv video by dwerten - Photobucket
Awww DD looks soooo sad in that vid! I'm glad she's better now. She is the same color as Uni!

I guess from the link you provided, Uni's LP may be lateral as opposed to medial. She can easily bend and unbend her leg. My vet did not say which though. I didn't see on the site what a dog with lateral luxation acts like. Maybe I missed it?

Thanks for all your info, you are always very knowledgeable.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!