View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #38
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post

I am always happy to see that some vets are not jumping up and recommending surgery as the first option. Many of these pups can live out their lives without having LP surgery. My Maxwell lived for 10 years with his (longer, but that is how long I had him) and only on occasion would his knee give him a problem; but thankfully it was a short lived limp here and there. I have had others with what I refer to as "poppy knees" that you can feel in your hands when you pick them up and none have had to have surgery.

There is always a risk of an ACL tear because of an unstable knee, but usually that can be avoided if they are not jumping.

Important to keep weight off of them and not to let them jump on and off of furniture.

I have also heard that glucosamine helps them but have not had first hand experience.
yes and even if they get an acl tear orthos told me surgery is not necessary in all dogs and dd is an example as after 2 mos of resting she was back to normal BUT i do not let her jump on and off furniture and i do not let her play frisbee anymore which was the most heartbreaking thing ever for us as she loved it so we had to put up all the frisbees or she would bring them to us every 5 seconds. She had like 20 lol poor baby. I had one vet that wanted to get her into surgery in two weeks and do a dental at same time how scary is that. I then spoke to two orthos and our regular vet and all said rest her for 2 months and then she was fine. So happy i did not let the other vet do anything as i believe in second and sometimes third opinions and she did not tolerate metacam nsaid at all so surgery would have been very rough on this girl. I have seen others with acl tears or ruptures go right into surgery - i did not want to do that without getting a few more opinions and glad i did as she is 100% now just have to keep her more restricted so she does not re-injure
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!