Thread: Food for Lucy
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Ringo1
Ringo (1) and Lucy too!
Donating Member

Default Food for Lucy

Lucy is my soon to be 6 month old yorkie. Previously posted in the sick/emergency forum - she recently had bile acid testing that was somewhat elevated. 51 pre and 41 post feed. Retesting scheduled for February.

I had been feeding her my Westie's TOTW but took her off of that when I saw the high protein levels. I will be switching my Westie as well since I have seen all the negative reports about TOTW. He has allergy issues - so I have to be careful

But back to Lucy, I put her back on her Purina Puppy Chow (yes) that came from the breeder. She came home with that - and had no issues. It has a much lower protein count than the TOTW. My vet did not want to give her a very low protein food at this point because she is doing so well on the puppy chow. No symptoms, high energy, normal playful puppy behavior. Her problems began and ended with some canned food on top of the TOTW.

Here's my question: I know Purina is a crappy food BUT I am afraid to switch her to anything until we retest. She is doing well on it and we don't know the extent of her liver issues OR if she has them for sure yet. Right now - no symptoms, no tummy issues, no lethergy since I put her back on the puppy chow.

Am I doing her a great disservice by leaving her on this until we test further? Or best to leave well enough alone until we re-test since she seems to doing well?

I'm thinking about Blue Buffalo but also remembering the old adage . . if it ain't broke; don't fix it! (At least for right now)
Ringo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!