View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 06:23 AM   #14
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy-yorkie View Post
Both of mine have LP. Buster has it in both legs, Maggie only one leg. The last time Buster was checked he was a grade 4. I have an orthopedic vet and he has told me surgery would not be necessary until it affected his quality of life. Sometimes he will carry one of his legs but not for long. The vet also said to not let him get over weight. He does good most of the time. Maggie chases him around the back yard at full speed and he never carries his leg. I am careful to not let him jump off of the furniture, etc. I have steps for him to get up on the bed. I would watch them and see if they are in pain a lot of the time or just now and then.

I am always happy to see that some vets are not jumping up and recommending surgery as the first option. Many of these pups can live out their lives without having LP surgery. My Maxwell lived for 10 years with his (longer, but that is how long I had him) and only on occasion would his knee give him a problem; but thankfully it was a short lived limp here and there. I have had others with what I refer to as "poppy knees" that you can feel in your hands when you pick them up and none have had to have surgery.

There is always a risk of an ACL tear because of an unstable knee, but usually that can be avoided if they are not jumping.

Important to keep weight off of them and not to let them jump on and off of furniture.

I have also heard that glucosamine helps them but have not had first hand experience.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!