View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
HShanks
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Default Pancreatitis-need advice from those with experience

My little furbaby was dx with pancreatitis yesterday morning via CPLI and CBC. She had been having symptoms off and on since Tuesday afternoon. It started as white foam vomitting on Tuesday evening. No symptoms AT all on Wednesday and I thought we were in the clear, but on Thursday morning my husband woke me at 5 AM to tell me that she had diarrhea on her piddle pad, nothing all day Thursday. Went on a walk, took daughter to school and stayed on our normal routine... so once again I thought we were in the clear; however, Thursday night at midnight she had bloody diarrhea 2x with an episode of vomitting but was drinking water and went back to sleep so I decided not to seek ER attention and wait until her vet opened at 8 AM.

I logged on to YT immediately and started reading through posts and wanted to thank all of you who have shared your stories. Because of YT I was able to walk right in to the vet and suggest the CPLI which helped us get a quick diagnoses. I was able to request subcut fluids and bring my baby home with me yesterday instead of having to put her through the stress of an IV and being at the vets office all day long without her family (what the vet originally suggested). I would not have known to do either without all of you helpful mommies here on YT.

I do have a few questions for those of you who have been through this terrible process.

1. How long before your little one was feeling better?

Abbie went all day yesterday with out n/v/d but had jelly like bloody diarrhea at 5 AM this morning. She is eating a bland diet of boiled chicken and Science Diet I/D per vet instructions. She is eating well at this point and never really lost her appetite at any stage of the illness. She is also taking Flagyl twice a day but she seems so tired this morning. I called the ER vet at 5AM when she had the diarrhea and she said as long as she is eating and drinking that the disease just had to run its course.

2. What percentage of fat should I be looking for in her kibble?

I know now that she will need to be on a low fat diet. I have been feeding Nutro Natural lamb and rice but feel horrible because she WAS getting human food as well-which I now know can lead to the pancreatitis. Nutro has 12% fat-is that low enough?

Thanks to you all. Knowledge really is power
HShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!