View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
peggynitro
Yorkie Yakker

Default thanks so much for the link

I just briefly read the article you linked me to regarding Liver Shunts and "sure"....anything's possible. It says though that they are small in stature (mine is only 3lb 13 oz) but it says they are often seen with poor muscle developement which isn't the case at all with this one. She's kinda "chubby" when she was feeling better and now that she's been ill, she's skinny thru the tummy but remains still more rotund in her chest.

It also mentions the circling and yes she does do that but it goes on to mention disorientation, unreponsiveness, staring into space which is NOT her but it also says "head pressing" and Yup, she's doing that now too. No seizures(yet) but she does have a more quiet demeanor. No diarrhea or vomiting. Not sure if she's blind as a result of this new head pressing that she does. The article also talks about the BUN and that Liver Shunt dogs have increases in their liver enxymes (AST, ALT). I did have her tested several months back (BUN) and I believe "normal" was something like 25 or 35 (I forget now) and hers was just 1 point "above" whatever that number was. Maybe it would be worth rechecking her BUN? I do have another 2lb 9 oz Shorkie that's not a year old with a BUN that is off the charts usually (170). She definately has bad kidneys as she drinks lots and pees almost clear. We love them and can't put them down (like Vet suggests) and as long as they aren't in any pain.....we just wait it out.

I just wish I could find someone that could do a CAT or MRI (which ever she needs) and not "rape me" for the charges.

Thanks again.....sorry if I've vented way to much here! Peggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchgirl View Post
The symptoms you listed are highly indicative of liver shunt. You can read more about it here.

Portosystemic Shunts FAQ

It is likely the protein count in her food that's the issue rather than soft vs kibble itself. Dogs with LS feel sick after eating high protein meals.

Liver shunt can be repaired and many dogs go on to lead healthy happy lives.

Wishing you the best.
Wi
peggynitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!