View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
culantro
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default bee sting / cardiac and respiratory arrest

If your dog gets stung by a bee, and you see him vomiting and with diarrhea, take him to an emergency vet immediately..

I hope this post helps others. The vet told me after all had passed: "if you would have been here 10 minutes later the dog would have died".

Culantro (my 9 month old yorkie) is in great condition now, but on jan 12th (last week) we saw a bee on his right back leg. I know exactly the time because I just made a call at the moment and have the call log.
Exactly 10 minutes later I removed the stinger, and the dog had vomited over 5 times by then. Immediately me and my wife took him to the emergency vet, and after the 10 minutes car ride he had a violent diarrhea and pooped all over my arms and pants while I was handing him to the Vet.

The vet told me that when he received the dog, he was not breathing. He had to "revive" the dog and put a tube up to his lungs. The dog had respiratory and cardiac arrest and seizures. In addition after the dog stabilized he had problems breathing.. It turns out that he swallowed liquids while vomiting, and his longs were full of it..

The dog had to stay on an oxygen chamber for 4 hours. They gave him benadryl and a bunch of other stuff (you can see all in the image of the medical records). The days after, I had to give the dog antibiotics (to avoid pneumonia from the liquid on the lungs) and a respiratory pill that made him very drowsy and made him behave slow and depress..

I'm attaching an image of the vet and his assistant notes about the incident and other pictures...

Is also good to point out, the dog had absolutely no swelling where he was stung.. In fact there was no swelling at all... you can see the picture of where it was stung with just a tiny red dot. After he licked it, it turn bigger and red, but no swelling..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg culantroMedicalInfo2.jpg (197.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg OxigenChamber.jpg (160.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg stingScar.jpg (192.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg xray.jpg (169.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by culantro; 01-22-2010 at 08:36 AM.
culantro is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!