View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
futureyorkie
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Question about dry skin/dandruff

This past Friday I "rescued" a Yorkie. I actually saw the dog on craigslist and decided to go look at him. The owners said he was a full blooded Yorkie about 3 yrs old. The listing said he was fully licensed. I was thinking they meant he had papers but I was wrong. Well, when I got there he immediately ran up to me wanting some attention. You would not believe the shock and amazement when I felt his backbone and ribs. He was so skinny. The owners said they needed to get rid of him because they were being evicted, which I believe. They were heating the small house with a radiator heater. He was a bigger yorkie at 10.7 lbs, but I didn't care. I didn't see a food bowl anywhere. Honestly I wanted to take him and run as far away from the house as I could. I asked a few questions about his medical records and they gave me a list of shots he recently had. The listing said he was neutered also. His hair was butchered. The owners said his coat was matted...so they took scissors and just cut the mats out, didn't bother to try to even anything out. He also had a dandruff problem. At this point I just said I'll take him, paid them, and left. He sat on my lap the entire 2 1/2 hr ride home. I instantly fell in love with him. It was almost 10pm when I got him home. He looked like he hadn't had a good meal in a very long time so I picked up some dry food and a small can of Ceasar moist food. I mixed a little of each in his food dish and it didn't take him very long to finish it. I didn't want to shock his system by feeding him too much right away because the owners said they fed him soft food, but didn't know the name, but he LOVED french fries...basically that told me he ate whatever they did, which I know is a no no. Since it was so late when we got him, he immediately took a trip to the vet the next morning at 8am. We showed the vet the shot record and he also was tested for worms and heart worms. He got the rabies vaccination and some frontline (I think) for the few fleas he has. The vet said because of the poor condition of his teeth, lost of tartar, he thinks he is more like 5-6 yrs old. Which I don't have a problem with. We also had to have the stiches from his neuter taken out because the owner failed to mention he had just had him neutered 10 days prior!! Imagine if we hadn't noticed the poor guy still had stitches, that was an infection waiting to happen.
He has really become a part of our family. He is scheduled to be groomed professionally this coming Sunday. We are hoping that with a more regular diet and actual care the dandruff will eventually go away but does anyone have any suggestions to speed up the process? I absolutely love this little guy, he is the sweetest dog I have ever met. I have already started training him to sit, lay, and fetch...he seems very very smart.

So, suggestions on the dandruff problem would be extremely helpful. I will post pictures soon, I'm in the middle of moving right now so life is a little hectic.

Thanks!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!