View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 12:48 AM   #6
FirstYorkie
YT 1000 Club Member

I asked a similiar question to yours, bchgirl, on the clickersolutions list when Joey started growling when approached when he had a high value item. I was told to teach "drop it" and that's what I've done. At first, you're going to have a treat or another object to lure her away, if need be. As she drops what she has, say "drop it". Practice, practice, practice.

The experienced trainers on that list said they teach their classes that your dog should be excited anytime you approach when she's chewing on something (because your dog should think they are going to get something better). They recommend regularly taking items away on the "drop it" command. If it's something that it's okay for your dog to have, inspect it, and then you can then give it back. You could even smear the item with peanut butter or squirt cheese to make it worth the dog's while. If it's not something the dog can keep, trade for something else.

Your daughter needs to be involved in this, too, but I'd start her more slowly. Have her just walk by and drop a treat or two beside Trace when Trace has a high value item. After a few repetitions, if Trace is responding okay to that, have your daughter simply speak Trace's name as she drops treats. Progress to daughter touches Trace close to his hind end (NOT his head) while dropping treats. Again multiple repetitions and don't advance until you are sure Trace is cool. Advance to touching head while dropping treats. By this time, hopefully, Trace is responding well to a "Drop It" command from you. If so, let daughter start giving "drop it" commands as well.

In the meantime, not giving pig's ears might be a good idea!
FirstYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!