View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #41
spiritwings1202
Pixie and Daisy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie2009 View Post
My suggestion is to train them to not go into certain zones of the house so that you have peace of mind or want some privacy.

So if you want the bathroom to be out of bounds, simply teach them not to enter the bathroom, or make it an undesirable destination.

What i did to keep the dog out of the bathroom while i showered was to take it in with me and set it on the sink top counter. Since he is scared to jump off, he feels trapped and gets anxious. I take my sweet time and don't pet or console my puppy as i get dressed, brush my teeth etc...

Everytime I go to the bathroom and he follows me to the bathroom door, i pick up the puppy so he won't have a chance to get away and place him on the sinktop where he can't get down or move much without falling (they won't jump off the sink top). Once in a while i will let him sit on the ground and close the shower door and go about my business. The dog will feel confined and neglected and will not take being in the bathroom as a fun experience.

After one week, when i go to the bathroom, he stops at the doorway and quickly turns tail because he knows he will have to be trapped in there with me for 20 minutes or more with me... lol.. You can modify this to any room.

Just put them on a dresser or some place high EVERY time you enter that room... and go about your business while they whine. Do it immediately once you enter the room and the Yorkie crosses the threshold. Grab him and place him up there and go about your business while ignoring them. Once you leave you take them down and place them outside the doorway and close it behind you. Then next time you go into that room, you can give the "no" command and if they persist, then follow up with placing them on a small dresser or surface up high. You must be able to limit this high surface. Perhaps a basket on a dresser or bucket..... pretty soon they won't want to go into that room willingly!

Hope this helps
You can't be serious, If I did that to my dog she would jump off and break a leg. You can't trust a dog up high and ignore them, your asking for an accident and it only takes a second. I would NOT try that. Maybe you could talk to a trainer. Honestly it no big deal they follow you they are just real social dogs and want to be near their owner.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!