View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
Lisa and Pic
♥ Piccolo & Vivi ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddieadoptedme View Post
When i adopted/rescued maddie, she had recieved her rabies shot that morning from the vet in the town where i adopted her. by that afternoon i had to take her to my vet because she was having a allergic reaction to the shot--she broke out in welts all over was swollen and was scratching like crazy!! so my vet gave her a shot of steroids and by morning maddie was fine. now that i been seeing all the trouble with rabies vac. im scared to death to let her get another one when the time comes knowing that she could possibly have even a more sever reaction the next time. I plan on discussing this with my vet the next time maddie is due for shots. (ohh and the rabies shot was the only one she got that morning) she had gotten her other shot a few weeks earlier. but never the less i wonder if she a good canidate for not receiving them. my vet had said that maddie would just need a steroid shot the next time she gets a rabies----but im still worried of the possible sideeffects exspecially after reading all the terrible reactions yorkies are having???
Piccolo does not receive vaccines anymore, due to vaccine complications - instead we give her titer tests. (Expensive, but worth it for her health.) I could not believe how much antibodies from the rabies vaccine, were still in her body. (Probably enough to last a lifetime.) So, that is one alternative. Please keep reading about the rabies vaccine for pups with severe reactions.
Here is one of many sites that discusses the problems. Personally, I would not revaccinate a dog with severe reactions.

Vaccination Risk for Small Dogs | Truth4Dogs
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!