View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Default Breeders, Owners, and Liver Shunt

In some recent research I was doing I came across the results to date of the studies on Liver Shunt done at the University of Tennessee, and have discovered that breeders who happen to come up with Liver Shunt in their lines may not be at fault, at all. This is some of what I read:

1. Bred normal Yorkie to normal Yorkie got LS puppies.
2. Bred normal Yorkie (m,f) to LS Yorkie (m,f) got normal pups.
3. Bred LS Yorkie to LS Yorkie got Normal pups.
4. Bred normal Yorkies past 5 generations and still got LS pups.
5. Some Yorkies do not develop LS until they are older, after they have been BAT tested negative and been bred, so pups sold prior to discovery carry the gene.
6. Recommendation stands to neuter and spay any parents and/or litters that ever test positive for LS until future discovery allows for a more suitable protocol in controlling this inheritable defect.

I just wanted to throw this out for all to ponder, and to warn folks not to let your guard down, if your pup is LS negative, still be aware of the symptoms just in case.

Maybe something like a stem cell vaccine could be developed to replace the missing step in a LS pup's developement that causes the shunt not to close at birth that could be given to the mom's sometime before delivery. Or given to a dog that develops LS later in life.

As it seems LS can rear it's ugly head anywhere, anytime, no matter how conscientious a breeder may be, maybe we can all work together at reporting cases better with a no-fault policy to get to the bottom of this dreaded disease. Just a thought.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!