View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 02:47 PM   #3
txshopper73
Donating YT 14K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbaby's mom
Is there a certain gene that causes the ears to be erect vs. floppy, or is this just something you have to "train" the ears to do when the pup is young?

If it's a trained thing, then how old is too old to train the ears to be erect? One of my girl's ears are floppy and the other one's are up about 1/2 the time, and down 1/2 the time. Kinda weird, I think. I tried taping them when they were about 8-10 weeks old, but they scratched & rubbed the ears raw, so I just thought it wasn't worth it.

Thanks for ALL your input!
As far as a gene...I'm not sure. I do not believe so, though...JMO. The thicker the ear leather, the harder it is for the ear to erect. Are you tipping the ears to take off the excess hair??? Too much hair weighs the ears down.

Yes, you can tape the ears in order to get them to stand. It can be a long process. But it looks like you've tried that.

How old are your furbabies? Sometimes it can take up to 6 months for their ears to stay erect all the time. I don't know if it'll work for you but I massage the puppies ears...has worked every time...but could just be an old wive's tale.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!