Thread: Medical careers
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
orlnurse
♥Max & Lily♥
Donating Member

I am an RN. I've never worked with really sick people. There are alot of other opportunities out there that allow you to work in non-terminal areas. For instance, I started out as an LPN and worked in a doctor's (OB/Gyn) office while getting more college credits at night. Then I started working at the hospital in the postpartum unit where I got experience with newborns. When I graduated from RN school, I transferred to the NICU unit where I worked with some sick babies but not the micro preemies that may not have a chance of survival. From there, I transferred to the Labor & Delivery unit where I stabilize newborns during and right after delivery. I have the most awesome job in the hospital!

Becoming a nurse was the best decision I've made. I can't imagine myself doing anything else. I work night shift and have to work holidays and some weekends...it is a sacrifice. I can't travel to see family around the holidays, etc. However, I'm a single mom, own my house, own my car.... Nursing has allowed me to be independent.

I've dealt with my share of egotistical doctors but you do need to have some thick skin to be a nurse. It gets better as time goes on. You just have to ignore them. Fortunately, the organization that I work for has no tolerance for that kind of behavior from doctors. They will get written up in a heartbeat!

By the way, I'm horrible in math and I made it through....

Lesley, Maximilian & Lily Rae

Last edited by orlnurse; 01-17-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: add info
orlnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!