View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
RockyandMommy
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Love Overfeeding Yorkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamichanel View Post
I have a 8 week old, 2.12 lb yorkie. I have been feeding her 1/2 cup of food a day, 4 times a day. Sometimes when she's done she licks the bowl. I've been reading a lot of threads on here and I see that people are feeding their dogs 1/4 cup a day, am I over feeding her?
My male Yorkie is 2 years old and when he was a baby, I had to coax him to eat. Now he is a very unhealthy 8 lbs. and my vet said if I don't get him down to 5 lbs. he's going to have heart and joint issues and not live as long as he would at a healthy weight. Believe me it is a huge struggle to try and get him to lose weight because he cries for food and it breaks my heart.

The suggested amount to feed him is 1/4 per DAY which looks like almost nothing to me. I give him Romaine lettuce in between meals which he loves and it has almost no calories but still, I feel like I'm depriving the little guy.

Part of our problem is that he gets very little exercise because it is snowing and freezing here and he doesn't like to play indoors on our hardwood floors. Please take your dog's eating very seriously and feed him accordingly so you don't wind up having to go through what we're going through. It's very difficult!

Good luck!
RockyandMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!