View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
roxybc
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Roxy nibbling on her claws & hips

So lately (in the last 6 monthsor so) I've noticed that Roxy has been chewing and nibbling on her toe nails / claws. For as long as I can remember (she's 1 1/2) she's nibled her feet - especially at night. I always thought she was just cleaning them. Tonight (and one other night several months ago) I found a toe nail / claw on the floor. It's not an entire nail, but kind of like an outter casing of the nail. It's the tip part and then the sides of the nail. I just googled dogs biting their nails and one of the results said it could be because she has allergies to something. We feed her one of the best foods in the UK (Burns mini bites), so I don't know if she's allergic to something in her food, or something in general, or even allergic to anything at all. It seems like she nibbles on her paws the most, but occasionally she'll nibble on her back side and hip area (but not for long) and she'll also scratch her neck and ears a lot.

Does anyone know why she does this? Is finding a nail on the floor anything to be concerned about? Should we take her to the vet? Will it be worth it? Taking her in costs £30 ($55), and I don't want to go if it's not necessary.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!