View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
cj125
Mia, Max and Moe's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by star7729 View Post
Hello everyone!

As is the case with many people on YT, I am here looking for a new baby. My husband and I have finally settled into our new home in Apex (just outside of Raleigh, NC) and are starting the hunt for a healthy, happy Yorkie puppy.

We have both grown up with dogs of all types, and are very familiar with raising, training, and loving them. However, we are not interested in showing, and while I hate to be crass, we are therefore not interested in paying for a top-dollar, show-quality puppy. We've looked into rescues, but to be honest, the health concerns of most of the puppies are just overwhelming.

So...any recommendations on good, reputable breeders around NC that sell in the neighborhood of, say, $500?

I know that this is by far the most common question on the site, but some of the threads are so out of date that I thought I'd re-post.
Thank you in advance for any help!

Hi Welcome to YT!

Ladymom - always a great post!!!

Star7729 - you said you have owned, trained and loved other dogs - were they Yorkie or toy breeds? Because there is a HUGE difference. We had a Blk Lab for 15 yrs prior to getting Mia & Max and I can tell you that they are like night and day as far as health care and training.

Also, you don't have to be "into" showing to own a dog that comes from a show breeder. From my own personal experience - it's far better and cheaper to get quality right from the start.

You'd be surprised what show breeders sell their dogs for - a lot less than most pet stores. Now mind you these are not the dogs that they show - it's the others that for some reason or another just aren't up to what they want to spend thousands of dollars to Champion. It would be what's called "pet quality". And, you'd be lucky to get one of those but they are worth it.

And as for rescue - where I live - there are an abundant amount of dogs being rescued because of people loosing their jobs and homes. So they won't all have issues.

Anyway, my best advice is to spend a little more in the beginning or it can cost you alot in the end!

Good Luck and make sure to come back and show us pictures.

Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!