View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by star7729 View Post
Hello everyone!

As is the case with many people on YT, I am here looking for a new baby. My husband and I have finally settled into our new home in Apex (just outside of Raleigh, NC) and are starting the hunt for a healthy, happy Yorkie puppy.

We have both grown up with dogs of all types, and are very familiar with raising, training, and loving them. However, we are not interested in showing, and while I hate to be crass, we are therefore not interested in paying for a top-dollar, show-quality puppy. We've looked into rescues, but to be honest, the health concerns of most of the puppies are just overwhelming.

So...any recommendations on good, reputable breeders around NC that sell in the neighborhood of, say, $500?

I know that this is by far the most common question on the site, but some of the threads are so out of date that I thought I'd re-post.
Thank you in advance for any help!
I live in NC (Pinehurst), too.

For $500, you are looking at a Yorkie puppy from a backyard breeder. The same Yorkies who are in rescue that you are worried about health problems came from backyard breeders, so there really is no difference.

"Bargain" puppies come from breeders who know nothing about genetics and don't do any health testing on the parents. The chance of getting a puppy that is carrying "genetic time bombs" for health problems years down the road is much higher than if you get a puppy from a reputable breeder.

This recent study done by the YTCA has some pretty sobering facts about inherited conditions in Yorkies. One third are born with a liver shunt. Even more are born with Legg-Perthes. Both conditions require thousands of dollars in surgery to correct.

Health Survey 2007

My best advice is to get a pet quality puppy from a show breeder even if you have to save a little longer. Paying upfront for a good quality puppy will probably save you lots of money in vet bills over the long run.

I'd also encourage you to reconsider rescue. All dogs who come into rescue are thoroughly vetted so there aren't the surprises that can come with a puppy. If they have medical issues such as luxating patellas, they have the surgery before they are placed in their new home.

We have a wonderful Yorkie rescue right here in NC.

Home

If you are interested in rescue, it's best to submit and application and have it approved first, rather than waiting for a particular dog. Many of the Yorkies posted do have special needs. The young, healthy and more adoptable Yorkies rarely make it to Petfinder as they are placed so quickly in pre-approved homes.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!