View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
danniko
YT Addict

Default My little Sophie is going in to be spayed next week...

I haven't been on here much since I got Sophie back in August, but I frequently read them.

I am extremely nervous about taking her in to be spayed; I already has rescheduled once (I wasn't comfortable with the vet we were given at that practice). She goes in on the 21st - so next Thursday and I am trying to stay calm.

I called them last week and asked what type of anesthesia they use on the dogs and I was relieved to hear that they use isoflurane and they will be doing pre-screening bloodwork the morning of her surgery.

Originally she was supposed to get dropped off Wednesday night and picked up Friday afternoon, but she hates crates and being in unfamiliar places. I asked them if there is 24/7 care there and sadly, I was told the on-call vet checks in periodically and other than that no one is there between 9pm and 8am. I hated that idea, so, they agreed that it will be my responsibility to get her to fast the night before and that I will be able to pick her up Thursday night as long as everything goes well.

The six words "as long as everything goes well" are haunting me. I am petrified. I have had other animals fixed before, but nothing as small as her (even my kittens weighed more than her). She will be 3 days short of 7 months old and right now weighs a little more than 3 pounds. The vet doesn't think she will get much bigger than 4-4.5 pounds, so either way...she will be tiny when she goes in.

I have heard/read so many horror stories about puppies and kittens having heart attacks, not coming through etc and I am extremely nervous. I keep telling myself that it needs to be done (the risks of not having the surgery outweigh the risks of having it, in my opinion) and that the vet we take her to is an amazing vet - she specializes in animal cardiology and makes me feel extremely comfortable. She has even booked us a 30 min appointment for Thursday morning to go over any questions/concerns and she said she will assess Sophie and then talk to us about her size and everything before we sign any papers. I trust her, I really do...Sophie is just my life and I take her everywhere with me and love her more than anything and I hate knowing there is a possibility that she could *gulp* die from being put under.

I know I have done all I can, asked as much as I can and the office is willing to comply with what I feel is best for her (isoflurane, letting me take her home instead of no supervision, giving the extra appointment for us to talk about it before we drop her off, having the pre-screen blood panel done etc), but I can't stop worrying about my little princess.

I am not sure what I am looking for here, Just figured if anyone could understand my worries...it would be the people of YorkieTalk that have gone through this before.
danniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!