View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
rilysmom
Just me and Rily McGee
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
Let me recommend that you ignore the charts. Impossible to guestimate a yorkies final size. All is very dependent on the line the puppy comes from and his background. Even then, it's very possible that a pup can be undersized and/or above the standard.........

No reputable breeder will guarantee a pups final size. The only way you can guarantee that you obtain the size that you desire is by purchasing a yorkie that is older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachi View Post
Both of mine ended up bigger than the weight charts said they would be
My experience too...

Rily was following the chart to be around 6 lbs. The lady I got him from said between 5-7 lbs, so that's what I thought he would be. However, after he was neutered at 4.5 months he had a growth spurt. He is now close to nine pounds at 9 months. Saydee started out tiny, but that changed. She is a big eater and now at 4.5 months, she is around 5.5 lbs. and off the chart. However, she is much shorter than Rily and she appears to be slowing down. I also measurer their back and leg lengths. Both have not gotten much longer or taller in over a month, but they have filled out some. I personally don't think you can put much faith into the charts....each pup will be what it will be. They all are different. I hoped for tiny dogs because they are easier for me to handle, but even at 9 pounds, Rily is still a small dog.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!