View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
Yikes. I used to live up north. At least down here we all know this is temporary.

I would never move back up there.

Hypothyroidism can cause hair changes. That is easily found out with a simple blood test...and also cheaply and easily treated.
Might not be that, but that is one of the first things that come to my mind with hair changes that do not involve skin problems.

Maybe someone else will see this and have some ideas. At any rate, please let us know when you do find out!
this is either flea allergy reaction which affects back half of the dog BUT since you are in winter that would not be the case so Hypothyroid is my guess as hey get hairloss on lumbar region and tail usually but my dd had he hairloss on her neck and it runs in this breed. Your dog is pretty young but dd was diagnosed with it at 3 so make sure to get the 6 panel thyroid done and if your vet will i would have it sent to Hemopet/Hemolife, HEMOPET a full animal blood bank, Diagnostic Laboratory, Adoption and Consultation dr jean dodds which is who we see or michigan state and if not to antech as jean dodds can review as a back up if you need. She is very nice and helpful.

If it is not hypothyroid i would save yourself a ton of money and take your dog to a dermatologist - as they are very experienced in skin issues and will save you time with a vet who is not as educated in skin issues - here is the link

I would go to chris reeder at animal dermatology below and the reason is we go to animal dermatology here in california and they are an excellent group of dermatologists
https://www.acvd.org/

Animal Dermatology Clinic
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!