Thread: Suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

For a hyper dog, I recommend exercise, exercise and more exercise! You need to drain them mentally and physically. Not including these past few weeks when it's been freezing, I take Jackson for at least 1 walk a day, minimum of 30 minutes, but sometimes more. Every weekend we would go for a 4 mile walk. And we go to the dog park 2-3x per week. Jackson's not really "hyper" (he sleeps a lot while in the house) but he does have a lot of energy and I feel bad if I don't let him drain it. Certain dogs require more than others. A tired dog is a happy dog! Besides exercise, you can find mentally exhausting things for them to do, such as trick training (I try to do at least 10 mins a day with Jackson of doing old and new tricks with him), or even walk them on a treadmill if you have one. He sounds to me like he's bored and looking for something to do!

I also want to recommend the Premier EZ Walk harness (or any harness with a d-ring on the front chest) as it re-directs them towards you and usually stops pulling. It doesn't work for everyone but it stopped Jackson's pulling 10 mins. after putting it on.

Last edited by Britster; 01-06-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!