View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 06:55 AM   #3
BamaFan121s
Donating YT 10K Club Member

OK, not claiming to be a hernia expert at all, but I can share the experience I had with this. I had a peke (Chachi) that had a hernia. He was the runt of his litter. I am not aware if there are different types of hernia or anything like that... The way it was explained to us...the diaphragm separates the intestines/stomach from the lungs/heart. The hernia he had was probably because he was the runt and the muscles where the unbilical cord was attached did not form/strengthen at the same rate of the rest of the litter leaving a hole in the diaphragm. The vet said the best thing to do was make sure we kept his hair cut short (he was not a show dog) and keep him cool. If he ever got hot, you could see where it (this little grape-sized spot on his stomach) would kind of protrude a little. Sadly, he died when he was about 6 from complications from it.
Again...I don't know that much about it...I can only let you know what I've seen concerning one. And this was 10 years ago...I am sure I am getting things mixed up by now!
I would love to read any comments anyone else may have though...
BamaFan121s is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!