View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellygirlky View Post
You are a veteran.Please tell me more. I'm still a newby. I just learned that you don't even need a prescription to get this insulin. If I had known that I would have switched months ago. What do you feed? Injections 1 or 2 times a day. Unfortunately Annie already had chronic dry eyes (no tears) It has scratched her lenses even with the use of drops. I believe she can still see lights and maybe shapes. Doesn't bump into thinks unless her eyes get gunked up. I just hate it for Annie and my carpets that we have to start all over again. Any helpful hints are more than welcome. My mom has Annie's sisters and 2 of them are diabetic.
You don't need a prescription for insulin or syringes. Most dogs do well on NPH insulin which lasts 12 hours. Lady gets 3 units of ReliOn "N" twice a day with meals.

I never did feed Lady prescription food as it is garbage IMO. Why would I feed a dog with a compromised immune system food that contains peanut hulls? I fed Lady Natures Variety Prairie for years. She did really well on a higher protein diet until she was diagnosed with liver damage from years of Phenobarbital for seizures. I switched her to a homecooked liver diet and she is doing really well on it, too.

Lady also has dry eye. We've been seeing an ophthalmologist for several years. She gets Tacrolimus to produce tears as Cyclosporin didn't work for her. I also use Genteal Severe Eye gel in her eyes 4-6 times a day (or more). Eye problems have been her biggest (and most expensive) issue to deal with.

This website is a fabulous source of information for those of us with diabetic dogs:

Pets with Diabetes: Home Page
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!