View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Randy
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Need advice. My pup is having Cujo moments.

I have a 15 month old intact male Yorkie who is having some very bad issues. He can be sweet and loving one moment and a biting "wild" snarling monster the next. He has suddenly gotten very bad with my wife. To the point that I have seen him literally lunge and jump to grab her. This usually happens when he has something he should not have and she is trying to get it back or if she is trying to put him up. Putting him up means putting him in the laundry room where he is fed and watered and where he sleeps at night or when he is having a "mood". Lately he has started growling or attacking my wife when she calls him or even reaches to pet him, etc. The funny thing is that he may just as likely come to her for loving. She can be petting him and he will be happy one minute and turn on her the next. It seems to be that he wants her attention but on his terms. He is really not big enough to hurt either of us but I have two young boys 10 and 5. He often growls at them and has occasionally bit them but not as bad but I am worried that this could change. After one of these spells he either stays nuts for a few minutes hiding and sounding like a rabid dog anytime someone comes near or he comes to me to hide (I guess for protection). This has gotten bad enough that it appears that we must find him a new home.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would getting him neutered help? I have heard both yes and no. He is a very smart dog and tries hard to please but has never been overly loving and rarely begs for attention. I'm sure this is a dominance issue but I don't know how to fix it. I have managed to make him understand that I am top dog but apparently he thinks he is next on the ladder and I just can't have that. Would some sort of discipline training help and how do I find someone? The problem is that we have very limited funds so I don't know that I can afford it. Would another dog in the house help? I really like the little demon dog but I'm afraid I can't fix this. Thanks
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!