Thread: Broken nail
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
jenn1381
YT Addict

Default Broken nail

So tonight as I was changing the sheets on my bed, I noticed Oliver was chewing on something.. went to take it away and soon realized it was a piece of his NAIL! Grabbed him and looked and sure enough, one nail is broken pretty far down. He had been neglected until he was rescued from the puppy mill, so we're still working on slowly getting his nails down to a good length; they are still too long. I think he broke it when he jumped off my bed a few nights ago. No blood that I can see on his paw, or anywhere on the carpet (and they're white). No pain, he lets me touch it and move it and doesn't even bat an eye. He's a little more cuddly than normal but still begs to play and even wants to play his favorite game - chase the ball - but he does seem to stop sooner than normal.

Anyone have any experience with this or advice on what I should do? I do not clip his nails myself, but perhaps I should learn so I can get them done more often.

I'm going to call the vet in the morning and see if they'll look at it... they do nail trimming for free so I am hoping they will just trim it up and not charge me.. but, if it does need to be removed, we'll get it removed. It seems like something that *should* be painful, but he doesn't show signs of pain at all! Is he just tough or could it be something I shouldn't worry about?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!