View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpstoybox View Post
Is there a link to this info, or would I or my vet have to call Dr. Center?

The vets in my area, have little knowledge on the BA Test as it is...as they rarely perform them. When I call in to schedule a BA Test...the receptionist says...Oh Hi Karen, before I even say who's calling. It's a running joke there now...as I am practically the only one this office does the BA Test for. And they have a large client base. One of their long time vets didn't even know the 4 grades of the luxated patella.

Does anyone here have the official "protocol" for the do and don'ts of Bile Acid testing? Is there a certain amount of food that should be fed? And can the food they are used to eating at home be used for the test?

Since I have recently started testing every puppy that leaves my home..I want to do what ever is necessary to prevent any false results.

Thanks
As far as I know there is no link. The information I have is in my YTCA Yorkie Express and based on the seminar Dr. Center's held at the Roving National

Your vet should call Dr Centers......or rather you should insist in your vet calling Dr. Centers to obtain explicit instruction on how to draw the blood and correct vacutaianer tube to use. I'm sure she'll provide your vet with documentation.

According to Dr Centers. Bile Acid Testing: Optimal Conditions.

! For best test utility you need paired samples around a meal.
1. collect a sample of blood before the meal
2. Collect a sample of blood 2-hours after the meal

If the dog is stuffed or if the dog is frightened the test result can possibly be skewed.

Pre-meal and post meal can be done on 2 seperate days.

It is not necessary to fast a dog 12-hours before collecting the pre-meal or pre-prandial sample. Food fed is what you normally feed your dog.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!