View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #26
mylittlegirls
No Longer a Member

Thumbs up Breeding and Placing Standards are Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
There have been plenty of threads on how to find a good breeder. Articles everywhere on the subject.

However, there was an article this last summer in the AKC Gazette on how to interview potential new families when placing your pups.

1. Listen for Phone Cues. A breeder never tells a potential new family right off the bat that they have puppies available. If their initial question is "How much does a pupp cost? Price tag shouldn't be the prime concern
Nor should color. People will call up and say, "I want a white curly, or a dog with a lot of white on it. They are more interested in color than a dog that will get along with them. Other comments are immediate deal-breakers. "When a parent sayd, "we're going to teach our children responsibility......"Not with my puppy you're not"

2. Read Between the Lines. Prospective owner's intentions and lifestye, but written answers can be misleading. Yes or no answers, hastily dashed off suggest the same slipshot approach will be applied to obedience training, socializing and other time consuming aspect of raising a pup.

3. Meet and Greet "we don't get serious....until we've met them, and have them into our home, have them sit with the dogs," One visit or more, is critical, because it allows the breeder to observe how people react when confronted with flesh and blood puppies. "It's the attitude toward the dog, how they respond to the pups. Seeing the whole family is essential, because if one member is not onboard, the dog is likely to suffer.
4. Mind the Kids. Watching the children interact with their parents. Are they responsive to their parents and the dog? Is there an open relationship? Is there fear? That will get (transferred) down to the dog

5. Probe Personality.....there are stadard tests to tell if a personality is bold or shy, mellow or energetic. These traits are the most important factor in making a match, more so than gener, color, or size.

6. Check Finances. Vaudeville signing star Sophie Tucker coined the famous line, "I've been rich and I've been poor-and believe me, rich is better." But this is not necessaily so when it comes to picking a good home for a puppy. It's important than an owner be able to afford quality food, shelter, and vterinary cary, but a wealthy person my not be the best. Case in point; a family wants a pup, and it seems like a wonderful opportunity. They have a big house with a backyard pool as well as a 2nd home. But, they would not take the time to go East for a face-to-face meeting. The proposal was to send a nanny to an East Coast airport, and the breeder was to hand off the puppy. Well heeled they family may have been, but they lacked important qualities-dedication and interest-that are essential for providing a good home.

7. Trust the Dog- Dogs are often better than their owners at sizing up strangers.

8. Get Down to the Nitty-Gritty. Breeders don't be afraid about probing for details. Ask questions: Who will walk the dog? How often will the dog be exercised. How large is your yard, what kind of fences are there. Who will be with the dog during the day. What will the puppy eat. Where will the puppy sleep. People that have not given a great deal of thought to such questions will probably be rejected, as will families who don't plan to intergrate the dog into their lives. People who won't consider a policy are not being realistic about the high costs of veterinary care, especially in an emergency. If their dog gets that sick, they reason, just put it down and get a new one.

If that's your attitude, you know what? No puppy for you.

9. Take a Trip Down Memory Lane. Breeders love to hear, "I've had a Portuguese for 14 years. Or I have a 3-year-old Portuguese who needs a Portuguese playmate. Sometimes people don't immediately reveal dog history. Theyn they'll drop a bombshell. They'll talk about "that wonderful Lab puppy" they got rid of when the baby came, or they'll recall finding a new home for a dog because they wanted to travel. "red flag"

10. Admit when it's wrong- and act fast. Sometimes , no matter how well you screen, how many questions, you ask, you may place a puppy with the wrong person. It's happened. A puppy placed in another state. The new owner gives all the right answers, drives down to the breeders home. The new potential owner and family are just as charming as they can be. The potential new owner comes a few other times and calls constantly. You think mmmmm this is a winner. You get a call from another breeder who lives near the new owner. The breeder tells you that the man has suffered brain damage in an accident some years earlier. While he still function, he ws not capable of carying for animals on a day-to-day basis. So, it's up to the breeder to delve deeper. Contact other breeders...
If every breeder would follow the advice in the above article, these puppies wouldn't be brought up in a home that is undesirable.

When I was given Tuffy, " Mary " top breeder, wouldn't even sell her show dogs. She only breed one litter from the Grand Champions her and her daughter Showed.
Mary was quite aware of my home, my family and the true love that I would give lil ol Tuffy. Tuffy was my family and she always came first no matter the circumstances.

It's not the Number of dogs you produce from breeding but the Quality and Health of the litter.

Last edited by mylittlegirls; 12-31-2009 at 10:38 AM.
mylittlegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!