View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #15
Dame
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcerella02 View Post
I think the thryoid thing is my fault. Layla was on a diet made by a nutrionist that lacked in salt. For the past month she is on a new diet that has been especially formulated for her and for weight loss. The vet said the low salt could have caused this- so needless to say- guilt overload.
I am not a dog thyroid expert,... but I do know a huge amount about them from a people standpoint (I almost died from it about 8 years ago) and from my experiences with one of my dogs many years ago.

I have never heard of salt causing thyroid issues, but a lack of iodine (ie: iodized table salt) can cause goiters and lead to hypothyroidism. Its why table salt is commonly shipped and given to many of the small tribes in third world countries - as the lack of iodine causes they to grow incredbily large goiters and the salt is a cheap simple fix for preventing it. Unless your diet was seriously low in iodine you really don't have anything to feel guilty about, and your dog would have had to develop an actual goiter for that to even be an issue to begin with.

The salt blaming thing just seems odd to me... because if that's believed to be the issue a blood test and ultrasound should have been done (for the goiter question). Either way, don't let it get you down... thyroid is a breeze really (especially if you compare it to pancreatitis!)
Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!