View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Default Anyone's dog have thyroid issues?

So Layla's vet thinks Layla might have a thyroid problem- as she is not loosing weight. She weighs somewhere around 7.2- and I think she is a perfect weight, but when we started with this vet- Layla was 6.2 so I think the vet only sees this as a weight gain. We've been with this vet since Layla was 2- and she will be 4 in March.

We are in Florida right now and every morning we go for a 30-60 min walk/run. I have a small scale I use to weigh her food and I weighed her today and according to this scale- no change I know it is isn't terribly exact, but I was hoping to see a 6 instead of a 7.

When we get back home in January we are going to go in for a weigh and I'm sure if her weight hasn't changed, we'll do blood work.

I think the thryoid thing is my fault. Layla was on a diet made by a nutrionist that lacked in salt. For the past month she is on a new diet that has been especially formulated for her and for weight loss. The vet said the low salt could have caused this- so needless to say- guilt overload.

ANYWAYS- she has NO other symptoms other than not being able to loose weight- other than over the past two years going from 6-7 lbs- she is not gaining weight.

Anyone have a dog with thryoid issues? From what i read it is not the end of the world, very common in dogs (although not in small breeds) and a pill will be the fix. Guess just looking for some reassurance- i feel just awful.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!