View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutHill View Post
Me? I have only been showing since June, haven't finished anyone yet.

But, the article covers the basics. I know that a lot of people want to get involved in showing, but are too imtimidated or something. The point of this article is to break it down into the nuts-and-bolts so it doesn't seem so intimidating.

And, I feel that the only way that the AKC and the sport of pure bred dogs is going to continue to grow and thrive is to get new people involved in the dog fancy. The AKC needs new people to continue the tradition

I am 29 and the youngest person (by far) in our local AKC club. I think the next youngest person is about 45. Where will the AKC be in 30 years without "fresh blood?"

I think new exhibitors should be encouraged. The average length of time a person spends showing is 5 years. Why? Because in order to attain greatness, there are a LOT of hurdles to overcome, most people don't have the tenacity to withstand it. Every new exhibitor or potential exhibitor should be supported and encouraged - it benefits everyone: the future of the dog fancy in general, and, im my case, Yorkies in particular.
There are few that have attained greatness......very few.

Yes, there are alot of hurdles to overcome. The reason the length of time in showing is 5 years, is because most don't have a commitment and find that it does take tenacity and a passion. Few have it, few do it for the right intentions.....so, they give up.

There are several things that will attribute to bringing in the newbie......First the newbie that has all the right intentions and deligence, 2nd the mentors that will spend the time training these newbies and then of course AKC, though the registry and Kennel Club of my choice, has to do their end of it too. They are making it difficult for the exhibitor......
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!